19.11.07

Bye Bye Business 2.0

One of my favourite monthly reads is Business 2.0 – it’s my first choice in terms of reading priority followed by Fast Company and Wired respectively. I’m always impressed with how they cover the newest and best ideas first before others, In fact, I’d go as far to call it the best quick read business mag in town. Sadly, they’ve announced that they’ll be closing shop after 5 years. Even though they are backed by Time Inc., I’ve already suspected their ability to sustain themselves with the number of ads appearing in each issue. My worst fear came through...

Some times the best products don’t survive not because they are no good – I know this first hand when I witness the demise the of another good magazine, Markethink, a bi-monthly critical read on the happenings in the marketing industry locally and overseas. Even though the response from the readers had been very positive, the business just couldn’t sustain itself based on the management’s high expectations and slow response from advertisers. I had the privilege to be the contributing editor for 4 issues.

As I looked around the market, my observation is that this holds true for most businesses:

Success goes to those who survive.

My condolences. You will be missed, Business 2.0: