4.2.08

Blue Apple, Now on Sale

I know I bitch alot of endorsement type advertising, i.e., Celcom with their ICONs who I don't think actually use their services, especially since they are based in UK, but anyway, I just realized that Apple also uses personalities in their ads that don't use their products. I'm referring to the Apple "Think Different" campaign which I even raved about in this blog. Imagine my shock, but how did Apple pull it off without being cursed? I guess it's just to show that what works for some won't work for others...and Celcom isn't Apple.

Anyway, the lastest Celcom promo is their "SALE", where everything within their catalogue of products and services will go on sale till end March. Conceptually, it's a different take on lowered rates / price, but I don't know why, it's just falling flat for me. Maybe I guess I've seen it done before in the banking industry where HSBC declared everything's on sale some years back. Ironically though, the HSBC guy who implemented the "sale" campaign is now in Maxis.

To really make the "sale" concept work, a lot needs to be on the ground and POS level so that it channel the retail excitement feel to the entire campaign. Even with HSBC's marketing machinery, they only did an OK job. As for Celcom, I guess they lost me at the blue box.