7.4.07

Totally Goofed-up Initiative (TGI) by Friday’s



Last week I decided to celebrate an occasion at TGI Friday’s. The food was okay, the evening was enjoyable. It’s really sad that they stopped issuing BonusLink Points, otherwise I’m sure I’d frequent the joint more often. After I called for the bill, a nice chap passed us a postcard and explained to us how we can get a main course free if we just go online and filled out a simple survey.
Today I decided to check it out. Afterall, if my opinion is worth something, I might as well cash in on it. I was duly instructed to visit www.surveycenter.com/sc/tgif and enter the unique ID on the postcard to kick start the whole thing. I jumped through many hoops because I thought the free meal would be worth this crap. Dee dee dum dee dee day... and I’m finally done!

But wait, where is that validation code that I was promised? Something’s wrong. With restrained anger over my betrayed patience, I called the restaurant to explain my problem. I was informed they have no way to verify if I have completed the survey without the validation code, which I was supposed to have received. I offered to come in and log on in front of them to prove my point, for which I was informed that “the quota of the survey response was met” – WTF? Mr. Rahim further explained that this is was part of their HQ / Global initiative and he couldn’t appeal even if he wanted to. He offered a free appetizer for my next visit but I told the very kind Mr. Rahim that it’s not about the free appetizer.

I am really pissed off as to how the customer / web engagement was so badly managed in the first place. Something could have been done like putting up an apology on the main survey page (but that would mean not getting additional survey response wouldn’t it?!). Customers need to have their expectations managed. I would be fine if there was a disclaimer of sorts but there weren’t any and I really felt cheated. Consumers are spoilt with choice so there’s no worry about thinking of another place / brand the next time. It’s really that simple. And marketers, be more proactive. Do the right thing even if there’s a screw up. Most customers are not un-reasonable. We should always try to build up goodwill - it’s one of the main things that drive loyalty and repeat purchase.

Here’s some “F”s for Friday’s:
Figure out all customer engagement scenarios and manage them accordingly.
Fall back plan must be in place if thing screw up anyway.
Failure to rebound and follow up will be fatal.